Sunday, September 19, 2010

September is National Sewing Month!

September may be more than half over, but I still feel that I should announce that September is National Sewing Month!  I honestly had no idea, until I went to Joann's Craft Store last night and saw a sign on the window.  No, I don't go to Joann's only once a month...I've actually been there four or five times already in the month of September.  Just chalk it up to inattention, I suppose!  Usually, I am on a mission when I go to Joann's- I have a specific list of things to get, or I am preoccupied with all the other things I need to get done.  Last night, I was able to go with a clear mind and only one required item (black Velcro for some of the darker coats I am making for the Etsy shop).
What is National Sewing Month all about?  In 1982, President Ronald Reagan declared September National Sewing Month "in recognition of the importance of home sewing to our nation".  I like to think that home sewing has only increased in importance over the years.  Tools, like Etsy, are such an important part of how the craft industry continues to evolve and reach new people.  I'm excited to see what is in store for us over the next few years alone!

There is site that is dedicated to National Sewing Month (www.nationalsewingmonth.org) that has some great tutorials, including a tutorial on creating a matching dog collar and leash!  If anyone tries it, I'd love to hear how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment